The RPMES primarily aims to facilitate project implementation, and devolve project facilitation, problem-solving, monitoring and evaluation to the regional, provincial/city and municipal levels. Specifically, the system aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a system for the integration, coordination and linkage of all monitoring activities in the region;
- To provide up-to-date information on the overall status of project implementation at each level for planning and budgetallocation, to include employment generation of the various programs/projects expressed in man-days;
- To identify problems/issues which impede project implementation for remedial actions at the regional and sub-regional levels and to elevate unresolved issues and problems at these levels to the Cabinet or the President for resolution and final action through the NPMC, CORD or Presidential Assistants (PAs) as appropriate;
- To provide information on lessons learned in project implementation for planning and implementation of future similar projects;
- To assess and ascertain whether projects implemented are supportive of regional development goals and plans as well as national development thrusts and priorities; and
- To provide a venue for greater participation of nongovernment organizations (NGOs) in the development planning process.